Friday, July 29, 2011

London: The Pros and Cons.

Well folks, here is the part of the trip I tell you what I LOVED about living in London for two months, and what I absolutely will not miss a bit. 

Firstly, on a positive note... I loved: 
1. Public transport: you can literally get from one end of the city to the other in no time. All while saving your carbon footprint on the earth. 
2. The weather: I personally adore fall temperatures, and here, it's been like that almost every day. A little rain here and there, sunny most of the week, and then cloudy breezy fall days. It has been wonderful! (but make sure you pack correctly)
3. The tea, obviously. Who does tea better than the Brits?
4. The museums: I swear the British did good when they plundered the world of national treasures because the museums here are absolutely jam-packed with amazing artifacts. I have spent more time in the museums here than I have spent doing anything else. There are such a vast array of museums tailored to such different themes and I am sincerely going to miss having something to enthrall me all the time. 
5. The music and dance scene: Even though house emerged in America first, Britain surely turned it into something way better: dubstep! I will probably miss this aspect of nightlife THE most, because I LOVE to dance more than anything, and here you have class A dance halls in al the cool boroughs: Shoreditch, Liverpool, Camden, you name it, they've got a fabulous club. 
6. The infusion and importance of the British youth cultures within every aspect of daily life: from the mods, to the punks, glam rock, rave scene, and now flash mobbers, the Brits have the richest youth cultural history and there are literally traces of its past everywhere you look. Not to mention the Brits take the histories of these youth cultures as national patriotic heritage, imbuing their modern culture with the flavor of past youth rebellion. It gives this city such a lively spirit!

Things I will certainly NOT miss: 
1. All the pushing and shoving. And lack of patience, politeness, and kindness in general. The Brits are brutal. Enough said. 
2. The food: I cannot wait for Panera. Over here, your cheap 'faster food' consists of Prets, Costa Coffees, Cafe Nero's, and McDonalds. Not very appetizing or healthy. 
3. Taking classes! YAY!
4. The small quarters. Elyse and I basically slept in the same bed... despite being in our own twin beds. 
5. The police and ambulance sirens: you think American sirens are annoying, just come over here and take a listen. Not to mention, they happen every second. 
6. The insanity over the royal family: I'm sorry. I just don't care about royalty. 

It has been such an amazing experience and I am so thankful to have gotten the chance to see and do all I have! 

Bye all, and see you back in the States! 

No comments:

Post a Comment